THIS (brick wall keeps you out and it has to be that way for artistic reasons)


Rob Fearon has said it well in Engage (copied and added to below), Toolkit and Easy regarding difficulty and accessibility in video games. Some people in video game culture argue that you shouldn't add easier play options to certain precious games. They often draw analogies with "difficult-art" in other media not being watered down and made more accessible.

If I want to engage with a book:

1) I can buy the normal version of the book.
2) I can buy a large print edition of the book.
3) If a large print edition isn’t available, I can buy an [e-book] version and adjust the font size on there or use a screen magnifier.
4) I can buy a braille edition of the book.
5) I can buy an audio version of the book.
+6) I can read it at my own pace and skip sections that I find too hard / boring.
+7) The entire content of the book is available to me immediately (it's fully unlocked).
+8) I can get help with bits that are too hard from a dictionary.

If I want to engage with a film:

1) I can watch the normal version of the film
2) I can engage with a version of a film with subtitles
3) I can engage with a version of a film with closed captions
4) I can engage with the film using hearing assists
5) I can engage with the film using audio description
6) If I catch the BBC or something at the right time, I might be able to watch a signed version of it too although this is more usual for TV.
[+6 to +8 above also apply].

If I want to engage with a game:

1) I can play the normal version of the game
2) Or get told to shit off and go and play something else but that’s OK because we’ve got loads of graphics sliders and stuff like that we insist upon *slides them up and down for a bit instead*

Labels: ,

0 Responses to 'THIS (brick wall keeps you out and it has to be that way for artistic reasons)'

Post a Comment



Games


Archives



Click to view my TWITTER feed.




Google Language Translation